Wednesday 26 June 2013

My Hair Time Line: Colours, Styles, Cuts


Hello, Hope you are well and life is treating you nicely. When I first started writing my blog, I wanted to include fashion and lifestyle posts too, just so that you lovely lot get to know me as a person. I do have a few big events to attend so I have OOTD and Haul posts planned. I thought that in the mean time, I'd share something quite personal with you. My hair timeline. I have always been quite experimental with my hair, I suppose I've used my locks as a way of expression.

So this is where my journey began....
As a little girl I always had shoulder length naturally curly, ringlet hair. As a little girl I suppose it was quite cute but as I grew older and started junior school, my hair made me feel baby-ish and I wanted it to be grown up and straight (strange considering perms were all the go at the time!). 
I had a long bob for several years with a fringe that I combed and combed to be rid of my curls. I know, how strange to hate curls so much, I think I just wanted to fit in with the other girls at school. I slowly grew my hair out and and by the time I was in senior school, I used to use my GHD's and curl my hair, no one else really curled their hair and I wanted to stand out. Complete U turn! From hating curls to having them back again. 


I only started to colour my hair in college. My hair is naturally mousey blonde but it lightens in the summer and darkens in the winter months. I used to feel dull in winter so decided to get highlights. Initially I enjoyed the highlighted with roots look. 
I became somewhat obsessed with trying to coax my hair to grow and went threw a phase of plaiting my hair and avoiding bobbles. I'd deep condition and wear my hair wavy. I think it was the best condition my hair had ever been in at this point, I cared for it tenderly. 

My hair eventually with highlight on top of highlight became a one tone blonde. 
and it got lighter...
and brighter and shorter. I decided when my hair was full peroxide bleach blonde to cut in a fringe. 
I then added hints of pink

and decided to wear clip in extensions

I grew out my fringe and decided i needed a drastic change. so i took a trip to the dark side. 


my hair gradually got lighter


and I added Racoon International extensions and dip dyed my locks.
out came the extensions and now I'm slowly in the process of finding my natural colour. growing out bleached damaged bits. My hair sits just on my collar bone. It has done through and since pregnancy. I have a deepish root and very bleached ends. I'm not using heat or styling tools. My hair is growing really well and is starting to improve. After years of punishment it needs a rest. If you see me today its either down and unruly or on a night out its trussed up in a bun (to avoid heat and hide root). 

I think that a colour and hairstyle can change your appearance and the way you feel about yourself in an instant. Its really lovely to experiment and I think you can define yourself with a style. I think in the future ill be more natural, maybe re embrace my natural curl. Why not? 

Sorry about the pictures, I'm terrible at posing and try and avoid the camera if I can. I didn't know back then I'd be writing this post otherwise Id have smiled and not showed my tongue. Hope you enjoyed my ramblings. 

Much Love
Amy 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. What a fab post! I am far too nervous to dye my hair in fear of losing my natural colour but I do wish I could try different colours! I love the colour dip dyes I see so much about online, i'd love to go for a wacky teal or hazy light red or something!

    Ellie xxx

    www.littlered26.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete